logo

logo

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Tonight's awesome Bean Soup!

I have been taking GNOWFGLINS' Ecourse on the fundamentals of real food. The latest class was on soaking and sprouting beans. I don't cook with beans - historically, I do not like them much. BUT - I want to! I like the idea of them & fully recognize them as a super food.

A while back, I bought a few bags of dried beans. So I got out the Great Northern beans and sprouted them. It took me 3 days total (including the initial soaking, which I think I did wrong but it worked anyway!). The sprouts weren't very long - just a quarter inch or less.

Bean, Sausage and Spinach soup
1c (dried) great northern beans, sprouted & cooked (it'll be more than a cup when sprouted, but I didn't measure)
1lb fresh chorizo (from pastured pork) - cook and dice
1 large sweet onion, diced
2 medium apples diced

saute the onion and apple mixture in the soup pot after cooking the pork in there (yummy flavors)

2 jars homemade chicken stock

add these along with the cooked beans - simmer for flavors to combine
using your immersion blender, blend the soup up.

add the chorizo, along with any other veggies you have around. I added
roasted corn and potatoes (about a cup of the mixture).

Season: I used salt, pepper, and cinnamon

add as much spinach as you like & simmer until the spinach is wilted.

Voila! It's really tasty, but most of all - it's really nutritious!

I served with homemade pumpernickel bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment