logo

logo

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Flats and Handwashing challenge: day 1

It's a rather busy day to get into the swing of things, good thing ALL my flats are clean right now! I won't need to wash until tomorrow, so I think I'll wait (although I oddly am excited to use my bucket).

I managed to lanolize the 2 wool covers. Now they'll need 24 hours to dry! I'm not sure I did it correctly though. I only let them soak for a few minutes. oh well - I'll use them during the day & redo them next week if I have to!

The whole idea is that you CAN diaper your baby for very cheap. Even without access to washing machines! Thus the homemade wool covers - I repurposed 2 wool sweaters that I no longer wear into covers. From one sweater, you can make one pair of longies (pants you can use as a diaper cover) from the sleeves and two covers from the back and front of the sweater! I felted the sweater body (minus the sleeves) first to make them extra thick. If you don't have any 100% wool sweaters you are willing to sacrifice, you can get them for around $2 at the salvation army. OR you can use fleece to make a cover too! For flats, you can buy them for pretty cheap ($1-$3 per diaper for the cotton type) OR you can repurpose things around your house - Receiving blankets, kitchen towels, etc.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment