logo

logo

Monday, May 2, 2011

Monday Mission

Happy Monday to you! Most monday, I plan to challenge myself to something new, or something I'd like to start doing, or something I'd like to try - all in the name of bettering myself, improving habits, and trying new things. I challenge you to join me on this journey!

Today's mission, if you choose to accept it, is to
prepare for the flats and handwashing challenge!

Dirty Diaper Laundry Flats Challenge

I started this morning by sewing one of my wool covers. It was a basic bum wrap, and super easy to hand sew! I sewed up the body of it in about 20 minutes. After Finn's swim lesson (which was incidentally cancelled because the lights in the pool area at the YMCA went off... strange!) I stopped by a craft store to buy elastic to finish off the waistband. After that? lanolizing... I tried this twice when he was a newborn with some handknit covers and the results weren't awesome. They turned out a little greasy and smelling like the lanolin. So I'm going to have to research this a little more and figure out how to do it right!

I have enough felted sweater to make three more wool covers, but I was thinking it might be wise to see how the first one holds up and if there is anything I want to tweak before sewing up three more! So far, I am really happy with the results.

I am going to order six more flats, and another cover. I just sent my husband a link to the tutorial on how to make the bucket washer. we have a salad spinner laying around, so maybe I'll use that to get the excess moisture out! Brilliant! (I read that in the comments on DDL's tute).

~~~5/9/11 - update!~~~


We have the bucket AND the plunger - and a too-small hole in the top. I received the Swaddlebees flats that I ordered (and the extra blueberry cover - not pictured).

Finn enjoys sitting in the bucket and being spun around... and picking up blocks from the
bottom.


On the right is the first felted wool cover that I made (still
working on it as you can see). There are a few repairs required to the waistband, and I need to finish sewing in the soaker pad (an extra layer of protection for those heavy wetting instances). In the top left corner is the wool for the next soaker. I'm making it a little bigger than the orange one so that he can grow into it a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment